With more and more people owning smartphones and tablets, it is critical for those in eCommerce to have websites that are mobile friendly. More and more people will shop with their phones and if their experience on your site is poor, they will look elsewhere.
So what will you need to do to make sure you have a great functioning mobile website? Here are five critical factors:
1. Make sure the design is responsive – There are phones and tablets with varying sizes and your site should be able to adapt to the screen sizes of the various devices.
2. Replace image based buttons with CSS – Speed is an important factor with mobile sites and by using CSS as opposed to images, your mobile site load times will greatly improve.
3. Make the homepage a clear roadmap for the rest of the site – People want simpler navigation when they are using a mobile device. So be sure to make it easy and very clear where customers can go and how to get there.
4. Keep the home page clean – While the home page has to be a roadmap for the site, don’t clutter it up. Too much information is not what you want people looking at on your website using an iPhone or Android device, particular if they are potentially new customers. Keep it simple. Remember, when it comes to mobile, less is more.
5. Set different text sizes for portrait and landscape - There are debates in eCommerce world about disabling the zoom feature on mobile sites and coding it so that the text size changes automatically. The less work a customer has to do on your eCommerce site, the better. You want them to make purchases, not have to fumble about with the size of the screen.
Design of mobile eCommerce sites is just as important as the main website. Customers want to be able to get on a site, find the product they are looking for and check out without issue. In the second part of this two part series, we’ll discuss the important factors with regard to platforms and security.